Thick client penetration testing involves both local and server-side processing and often uses proprietary protocols for communication. Simple automated assessment scanning is not sufficient and testing thick client applications requires a lot of patience and a methodical approach. Moreover, the process often requires specialized tools and custom testing setup.
Many thick client applications don’t undergo rigorous analysis. However, these applications can contain serious security problems, including memory corruption vulnerabilities, injection vulnerabilities, cryptographic weaknesses, and client-side trust issues. Such vulnerabilities can lead to a complete compromise of systems where the thick client software is installed, unauthorized access to server-side information, and more.
- Meeting compliance expectations like ISO 27001, PCI: DSS, HIPAA, CCPA, GDPR etc.
- Prevent the modification of existing data from unauthorized external sources
- Build trust and confidence with customers
- Prevent financial loss due to security breaches
- Identify known security exposures before attackers find them.
- Prevention in loss of reputation resulting from any security incidents